WEDA offers a variety of professional development, educational and recognition events every year, including two annual conferences that draw hundreds of individuals for certifications, continuing education, workshops, and networking opportunities. WEDA’s annual events include:
- Governor’s Conference on Economic Development
- WEDA’s biggest education and networking event of the year is the Governor’s Conference on Economic Development. The three-day conference includes educational sessions covering the most important economic development topics and issues of the day; exhibits; receptions; and other networking opportunities. The conference also provides continuing education credits for EDFP, CEcD and AICP certifications. The 2023 Governor’s Conference will be held on Feb 1 – 3, 2023 in Milwaukee.
- WEDA Fall Best Practices Conference
- Each Fall, WEDA holds a best practices conference at a new and exciting location. This year we will be in beautiful La Crosse, so be sure to save these dates: September 28th – 30th. Dive into the fundamentals of economic development and the leading issues of the day, including: workforce housing; childcare access; talent attraction; transportation issues; business expansion and retention best practices; and redevelopment and revitalization opportunities. In addition to tremendous networking opportunities, dynamic speakers, and continuing education credit certifications (EDFP, CEcD and AICP), the Fall Best Practices Conference will include the Community and Economic Development Awards. The CEDA Awards program recognizes and celebrates exceptional projects, programs, and businesses that drive economic growth in Wisconsin.
- Basic Economic Development Course
- The BEDC is designed to provide an understanding of the basic concepts, theories, methods and practice of economic development. Graduation from the Basic Economic Development Course fulfills one of the prerequisites for those who wish to pursue the Certified Economic Developer Designation (CEcD) through the IEDC. This year (2022) the BEDC will be held September 12 – 15 at VJS Construction in Pewaukee, WI. A hotel block at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee-West Milwaukee will be available after May 10th. The registration fee is $749 for WEDA members and $999 for non-members. A limited number of scholarships may be available for nonprofits, tribal governments, or municipal entities that serve small communities (pop. Under 7,500), or to a member of the statewide diverse business development chambers of commerce, and to ACRE alumni.
- WEDA Legislative Day
- This exciting event gives WEDA members a unique opportunity to influence critical economic development policy in Wisconsin. WEDA’s Legislative Day brings economic development professionals from across the state together in Madison to build relationships with state lawmakers and educate them on key economic development policy issues that drive business growth and prosperity n Wisconsin.