WEDA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH
The Wisconsin Economic Development Association (WEDA) is a statewide association with over 400 members. Our primary objective is to increase the effectiveness of professionals involved in the practice of economic development and serve as the voice for the industry by promoting education, advocating for strong public policies with our full-time in-house lobbyist, creating programs that foster membership development, and working with financial institutions on Community Reinvestment Act programs and initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be innovative and possess superior relationship management skills; excellent interpersonal skills; sales and fundraising experience; exceptional written and verbal skills; proficiency with Word, Excel, and other Office applications; experience with database management, and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Experience running a trade association, programming a word press web site, and knowledge of economic development finance are a plus but not required.
A bachelor’s degree in economics, urban planning, business, or related field is required. Candidates must possess at least three (3) years’ experience in project management, leading teams with a demonstrated record of excellence. The starting base salary range is $70,000 – $85,000 with the potential for bonus based on financial performance. A flexible fringe benefit package is offered. Please submit: cover letter, resume, five references and salary requirements by 5:00 pm on Thursday, October 1st, 2020 to email@example.com. The new Executive Director is anticipated to start on January 4th, 2020.
Purpose of Position:
This is a leadership position responsible for the oversight and successful operation of the association and its diverse revenue streams. The Executive Director is the public representative of the organization and supports the organization in the overall mission. The position provides direction and oversight for one in-house Director of Legislative Affairs and 4 experienced contracted staff positions each bringing unique expertise to the association. This position places considerable emphasis on creativity, initiative, communication (both internal and external), revenue generation, and relationship building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- General Management & Supervision of Organization and Contracted Staff
- Represent the Association on Statewide Taskforces
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Association
- Maintain effective public relations and build brand of WEDA and WEDI
- Ensure educational offerings through Economic Development Academy for AICP, EDFP and CEcD credentials
- Membership Retention & Recruitment
- Fundraising for WEDA’s Foundation – Wisconsin Economic Development Institute
- Oversight of meetings, conferences, and events
- Drive revenue to existing services and add new services as identified through customer demand.
- Legislative Advocacy coordination with in-house Legislative Director
- Project Management and promotion of CRA Network of Wisconsin
Additional Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Database management
- Basic web site maintenance
- Interpersonal communication
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations of stakeholders
- Consistently acts with the interest of members/association partners to build WEDA’s brand