State of the Association: WEDA President and CEO Mary Perry
As the end of 2022 quickly approaches and we celebrate the holiday season, I would like to take a moment to thank you and the entire WEDA family for your continued support of WEDA. I also want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a safe and healthy New Year! I am confident 2023 will be a tremendous year for WEDA and our members we strive to serve everyday!
During this busy season filled with parties, presents, and family, I hope you can take a few moments to read what’s happening at WEDA as we prepare for the New Year:
- Your WEDA board recently participated in strategic planning. As a result, we will be executing a plan to ensure that WEDA remains a viable organization well into the future. To do so, WEDA will strive to increase member engagement through networking and committee work. Let us know if you want to get involved! We strive to support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive trade association that creates a sense of belonging and an environment that includes all backgrounds and perspectives.
- Coming Soon: As part of our website refresh, WEDA will be rolling out several new valuable features in early 2023, including economic development community list-serve and a WEDA e-store.
- In 2002, WEDA significantly increased its operational scope through new corporate investments and grants. This has allowed us to add a position to our staff: WEDA seeks a detail-oriented administrative professional who enjoys providing an exceptionally high level of service and desires to play a key role growing WEDA. This position is a remote, work-from-home, part time (25-28 hours per week) role, however the individual must travel to and physically handle mail received in Madison office 2 to 4 times per month. See details here.
- 2022 provided WEDA with opportunities to expand diverse outreach and programing to rural Wisconsin, Tribal Communities, etc. through exhibitions, conferences, the Basic Economic Development Course, our ED101 course , Academy events, high impact webinars, and much more.
- WEDA and the American Indian Chamber of Commerce of WI continue to partner to bring Tribal Economic Prosperity programming to Wisconsin’s Tribal Nations and Native American-owned businesses. The final 2022 session was held in Ashland, hosted by Bad River Band of the Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians.
- WEDA is partnering with FDIC to produce several statewide CRA Network events—starting with a Feb. 1 (3- 4:30 pm) in-person meeting at the Milwaukee Hyatt Regency, 333 W. Kilbourn Ave prior to the Governor’s Conference on Economic Development. This 2023 CRA Economic Development Banker Roundtable will focus on small business financing. Wisconsin Bankers interested in developing strategies to support small businesses should register TODAY. There is no cost to attend.
- Our highly regarded IEDC accredited Basic Economic Development Course will be held May 1-4th in Green Bay, WI at the Oneida Nation-owned Radisson Hotel and Conference Center. Registration will open soon!
- It will be amazing to see you in a few short weeks in Milwaukee at the 2023 Governor’s Conference! Registration is now open! This is a good time to check your membership status, as WEDA members receive a deeply discounted conference rate.
Again, Happy Holidays!